This blog is currently on hiatus! Catch you in 2013!


Looking for the Save the Cat Beat Sheet for Novels? Click here!

Friday, March 11, 2011

The YA Mafia is Watching You

But first, a Public Service Announcement on how you can help the people affected by the earthquake in Japan:

Shelterbox in Japan

Shelterbox is a non-profit organization that provides shelter, food and drinking water, and other things needed to help reconstruct areas affected by disasters. For example, the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that devastated Japan this morning. Author Maureen Johnson explains in this blog post how you can help. Every little bit counts. So go there. Give what you can. And if you don't have anything to give, that's OK, too. You can always help by spreading the word.

And in other, much less important, news:

The YA Mafia is Watching You

OK, that's a lie.  There is no YA Mafia.

I don't think.

Unless there really is, in which case, I meant no disrespect. Honest.

(DON'T TASE ME, BRO!!)

It's just that some of you think Monday's post, in which I talked about why being in a clique and actively excluding people from your precious group is a rude and foolish thing to do, had something to do with there allegedly being a group of YA writers out there controlling the social hierarchy.

Truth is, that post was more inspired by my own bad behavior than anyone else's, which I'm kind of ashamed to admit. Lesson learned: you're never too busy or too popular or to anything to be nice to someone. Ever. So be nice, even when you don't feel like it. You never know whose life you may influence (or whose feelings you may hurt) otherwise.

But is there a YA Mafia calling the shots?

I guess that depends on what you think a YA Mafia is.

I mean, is there a group that call themselves the "YA Mafia" and do they go around killing authors' careers before they begin?

Probably not.

But are there people out there--whether acting as a group or a group of individuals--going behind peoples' backs, making deals that they'll never blurb so-and-so or never invite so-and-so to retreats or read so-and-so's books or otherwise being not nice to so-and-so?

Yes, there are.

Because no matter where you go, you will find people like that. I ran into them when I worked at CitiFinancial. I ran into them when I worked for Embarq and TransNet. I ran into them when I volunteered at the hospital and at church and even at the gift shop where I worked when I was a teenager. And guys, only three people worked there. 

I know we all have this Pollyanna view of how the world of books works, because we all love writing and love books and where could there be room for any bad? But the sad fact is, there are mean people everywhere, and publishing is no different.

For example, when I wrote mysteries, one particular New York Times Bestselling author's daughter used to demand a certain author's books be pulled from the stores where her mother was signing, because her mother did not like that author and did not want to see that author's books while she was there. Pretty rude, right?

Or when I wrote romance, there was this big brouhaha about the awards, because it was said that people tend to vote for their friends over what they feel is really the best book, which meant the same people kept winning over and over again while the less popular authors never got any credit.

I could tell you even more stories, but I think you get the point: some people are just plain mean.

But that doesn't mean everyone who writes YA is mean. I'm not mean. None of my friends are mean. You're not mean. Are you?  I didn't think so.

We're talking a handful of bad apples out of hundreds of thousands of good ones. And for what it's worth, in the fourteen or so years I've been writing, I've only run into two of the bad ones. Neither of them came from the YA genre.

So if you're one of the people worried about whether or not a group of mean girls is going to blacklist you and keep you from reaching your dream, take my advice and stop worrying.

And if you can't do that, stop reading Twitter and blogs that mention "YA Mafia" until you can.

(Except for this one. You can keep reading this one. This one is exempt.)

Because the real danger of the YA Mafia--whether it's real or not--is that every minute you spend worrying/thinking/talking about the YA Mafia is a minute you're not spending on your book. You know, the one you need to write before you can get blacklisted and/or published.

So do yourself a favor and stop worrying. I mean it. Just stop.

Because there are plenty of other, more healthy, writing-related things you could be worrying about. Like maybe your plot, or how you can make your characters even more awesome than they already are, or whether or not you're going to get a headless torso on your book cover.

I once read about a guy who got fired from his workplace because he was playing Farmville all the time. Only when he got fired, he was in a real bind, because not only had he depleted his savings, but he'd also maxed out all of his credit cards...

...on Farm Cash.

Don't look at me like that, y'all, 'cause you know you can't make this stuff up.

Anyway, I don't think this guy ever intended on paying $35,000 in real money to own a virtual farm. He probably had his eyes on a promotion, or maybe he was using his current job to pad his resume for a better job he wanted with a nicer company.

I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that this kind of drama is a lot like Farm Cash--a virtual product in exchange for real currency. Only in this case, the currency isn't money. It's something much more valuable. Farm Cash Guy may very well hit the lotto tomorrow, thus ending his financial woes. But the time and creative energy you invest in drama is gone for good.

I want to say that again, because I don't think everyone who read it got it:

The time and energy you spend worrying about drama is gone forever.

And if you think about it that way, then maybe the YA Mafia really does exist. Because if you invest all of your time and energy into the YA Mafia, you become the YA Mafia.

The only person who can keep you from achieving your dream is you. Don't be your own worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...